Thread: Hot Dog Day
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
My dad was telling me how in the 1970s his elementary school had fast food days. These were days on which fast food was served at lunch time. Even students who normally went home for lunch opted to stay at school for lunch on these very special days. There was hot dog day, McDonald's day, pizza day, etc. A couple of weeks before these special days the kids would be given an order form on which they could order their lunch, they would fill out the form, enclose the cash, and they were set. On the given day a truck would pull up in front of the school just before noon with all the food for the students who'd ordered.

Did any of you have such days at your schools? My dad is a product of the public school system, I think this was basically a public school thing.
Yeah, I remember "Hot Dog Day". It was every Tuesday. There was no cafeteria in my elementary school, so it was either a brown bag special, or a couple dogs. Definitely in 71' and 72'. After that, I don't remember. For what it's worth, most kids walked, or rode their bike to school, so I guess the calories were a wash.