View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 11:14 AM
2 Kings 9:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhef View Post
experienced? maybe half hour per side, layman...depends on tools available...
MUCH longer without experience! (Quotes below are from other threads...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.B.DOC View Post
Ball joint replacement on an ML is an easy job! The old ones just KNOCK out with a hammer & the replacements are held in with a LARGE nut at the bottom.

ONLY problem is getting the SPECIAL nut to the correct torque, special tool required!
The old one did knock right out. Very easy, even with knuckle still on the car, took much less time than expected. Driving the new one in was another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Thanks M. B. Doc

Ball joint replacement is done, but not without help. I ended up taking off the knuckle assembly and having a machine shop press in the new ball joint.

DIY Lessons learned:
1) The base plate is not to be used to pull in the ball joint or the threads will get stripped...
In the end, I did have to use the nut to draw the new joint in, in combination with a hammer and a brass drift. I put the new joint in the freezer for an hour; this did not seem to help at all. Had to take the knuckle off the car to apply enough force to push the joint in and get enough torque on the nut. An impact wrench helped too. Maybe next time I'll find a shop with a press to do this for me.

Incidentally, the WIS just says "Pull in supporting joint using claw-type wrench until it abuts." They make it sound so easy! BTW 179K miles on my ML and this was the first joint to go bad; can't complain about that!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games. --Ernest Hemingway

'10 GL550/'04 BMW 545/'99 BMW 323/'98 ML320/'87 VW GTI (race)