View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Coming back from burnout

Talking What cars harder to R&R - Mercedes Diesel or Conventional Gasser?

I just bought a used Nissan 93 hardbody and although they are stout vehicles, everything after a Mercedes, and a Volvo and then a SAAB is step down! (Except for my Rotary days, I've always stood by Mercedes and Volvo Diesel with a minor branch off to Volvo and SAAB gassers.) There are no Forums and the Internet is littered with inconsistent advice and chopped up posts.

This is a bit depressing, starting over at mid life on a whole new type of car. It takes a while to get back into the spark and fuel pressure and O2 sensor and VOM white smoke/ black smoke ECU world of troubleshooting. To me there's a lot of black magic. Some of the posts are ludicrous. One guy says he increased his mileage from 15 mpg to 30 mpg by changing his motor oil and transmission oil to synthetic. Another guys says changing plugs wiill solve your starting problems. You dont see that kind of stuff on Shop Forum,

Nissan Forums are not like Mercedes Diesel shop which is probably the world's best, premier, friendliest, Class one forum and which is more like a 24/7 Hotline for DIY'ers. The Volvo and SAAB forums are not bad either, but just are not at the class of Mercedes Diesel Discussion.

The second thing is I hate working on a Gasser in my attached garage. I liked the safety of Diesel. A little bit of gas fumes goes a long way! That stuff is combustible!

The third thing is, to me, Diesels were much better made and heavily engineered. The only gassers that came close were the Volvo 240 and 940 series.

The fourth thing is parts, but I guess it takes time to build up contacts and a knowledge base.

Last edited by Carrameow; 05-22-2008 at 02:19 PM.