View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Well, I was approved for the CAP program which is good news. They sent a list of mechanics that participate in the program, of which I must choose one and am required to go to if I want CAP to pay for the repairs.

I took my car in earlier this week to have it worked on, the mechanic told me that the odds of my car, or any car going over the CAP limit ($500) is rare and that my car should be only in for a day or two. After a full analysis of my car it seems as if there's more wrong with it then right.

First, he said that the vehicle didn't have enough power to complete the smog test, he said he tried 4 times and no luck. Finally on the fifth time it made it through. He noted that the vehicle has hardly any power and probably has back up cats. Hmmm...

Second, he said that the engine has a misfire and whats causing it is a bad coil, so that will need to be replaced. Hmmm...

Third, just a lot of random small issues, which may or may not be related to my vehicle failing smog. Hmmm...

As for the first and second issues, I personally don't think the car is underpowered at all, I've driven several versions of my car and they all had the same behavior. When I originally had it smogged and it failed I was there for the test and it had no issues. My car has ran the same, and has had the same power for well over 100k miles that I've owned it. I don't doubt that the cats might be bad, but if they are I'm not will to throw down $1600 for both of them, so that problem will stay if it even exists. As for the bad coil, since the engine only has two coils, one for each cylinder bank, I would think that if there was a bad coil the engine wouldn't run, or would run very badly. The engine runs better than ever and is silkly smooth. I really think that he is wrong and it all my be BS, but he has a good reputation and seems like a good guy, but who knows. I really have no choice since it's done through the CAP.

I personally think that the EGR valve and oxygen sensor should be replaced, but he doesn't think any of those parts are bad. Bottom line is that I told him repairs cannot go over the $500 CAP limit so whatever he does I really hope will be the best for the car. Even if the car still doesn't pass smog after this I'll be able the get a smog exemption waiver and be able to register the car, but I would like the have it pass if possible. I've done all the work on this car myself since I've owned it and really know it inside out, I really hope all my worrying is for nothing and I'm wrong, guess we'll see.

What a hassle! Ahhhhhhh