View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racekar View Post
I was just thinking that anti-sieze has a solid component to it's composition, which could cause binding if it dries up or gets contaminated with carbon. Grease has no solid component and there is no way it could bind. High temp brake grease can take temps over 1500-2000 degrees without running. The upper portion of the glow plug is in the head, the water jacket is most likley running coolant through this area, I would be suprised if it sees more than 500 degrees at any time. The tip is another story but there is nothing that can be done about that.
I am open minded; it sounds like the grease will work. It may even be that the BERU Glow Plug Grease is the same thing with a different name on it. Give the grease a try and report back on it.
Howerer, the Glow Plugs are supposed seal on the tapered area just behind the heating element and no carbon is supposed to get past there to mix with either Never-Seeze or Grease.
I only put Never-Seeze on the threaded area of the Glow Plug. The fact that it has solids is part of how it works; it fills up the clearances between the threads (not allowing air and moisture to come in contact with the parts) in the Cylinder Head and the threads on the Glow Plug and when it gets hot dose not run out. It has certainly with stood the test of time.