View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Vaccum-1987 300TD-and other questions...

I have been troubleshooting a rough shifting tranny, but before I buy or rebuild my vaccumm pump, I would like to know what the vaccum generated by the pump should be. Currently, with all of the circuits blocked off and only the vaccum gauge attached I am getting a reading of 12mm Hg. With the circuits attached, the best I was able to get was 8 mm Hg. This was done at idle and at up to 1500 to 2000 rpm. Is there a repair kit for this pump or do I have to bite the bullet and purchase a new or rebuilt pump? I see where check valves are offered but I believe that they fit other models and years.
I would also like to simplify my vacumm system by removing all that is not pertinent to the operation of the car. I have read articles about removing the EGR valve, but see that there are other items that could be eliminated (if doable without causing harm) such as the recirculating air valve, the vacumm transducer for the EGR, the vacumm transducer for the recirculating air valve, etc. In other words, I want to clean up the engine compartment without doing harm to the engine. BTW, I am currently converting this car to run on waste veggie oil.
I also have access to a waterjet and a complete machine shop so I could reasonably have any block off plates built for this project. Thank you

Last edited by scootertrs; 06-08-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: misspelling