View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
cphilip.com

Anyone shot their motor?

With a Infrared Thermometer I mean...

Been thinking about doing this to verify my temp gauge but not sure if it is going to give me the reading I want. I have access to one but don't know what allowances to make with it or where to take readings.

I got a new Radiator going in and want to then verify the "real" engine and coolant temperatures of before and after to see if my gauge is close to right. Or recalibrate that thing in my mind if not. Plus it will help me with the before and after there to know if its really what it is showing.

The gauge does occasionally jerk up and down about 10 degrees like it has a bad voltage input but normally (99 percent of the time) it will run steady. So I want to verify if that jerk up is errant as I think it is. It normally runs about 97 C but sometimes it will hit 100C. But when it jerks up for a few minutes those few times it will jerk to 105-110C then drop back in a minute or so in two jerky movements to 97 or so.

It's been in the high 90F to 100F around here for a couple weeks but it also ran 95-97C degrees in cool weather a few months back too. It seems to run 97 to, at most, 100C no matter what. Even with AC running full blast in 100F weather. I have no idea if its even right though. So I would like to verify with a good Infrared thermometer if I can.

Any input on running these diagnostics using an infrared thermometer welcome.
1985 Piaggio Vespa T5 - Black and Chrome

www.cphilip.com