View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 11:46 PM
88Black560SL

I'm honing in on a solution. This is a challenge due to the rear parking break and the diameter of the hub.

The ideal solution at least for me is to use a 300mm X 22mm vented rear disk with a 200mm minimum diameter. I would prefer that because that is the size of the SL600 rear disk so it would be perfectly balanced my SL600 front breaks.

Brembo makes a 300X25 rotor with a 195mm ID. Wilwood makes a 298.55mm x 20.6mm that I just might be able to squeeze in there but the ID is 216mm or a 203.2mm. The problem with the Brembo and the smaller ID Wilwood is that both rotors would have to be mounted backwards with no pilot on the hub. Essentially the opening in the hub mount for this rotor is just large enough to clear the hub and parking breaks. The Brembo unit would require mods to the calipers and then shaved pads to install.

One of the Wilwood units may be the optimal solution but I would have to decide against 2 evils. One would require the same undesirable Brembo style backwards unpiloted mount and the other would require shaving 10mm off the lower edge of the brake pads. Or I could also just use the larger ID Wilwood with the stock 560SL pads, they do fit and are not as tall but the pistons do hang over the edge.

Also I would like to add since this question came up for a 126, that the 107 rear breaks are exactly the same as the 126. therefore anything I come up with for my 107 rear brakes will work for the 126.