View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 11:49 PM
88Black560SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramay View Post
Interesting question. After talking to Jonathon (Blue Ridge MB), I'm keeping my stock rotor sizes, but..... I have ATE slotted rotors on the front with semi-metallic brake pads. Jono has put his AMG SEL on the track and says that removing the brake dust shields helped and he's likely to put some ducting from the fog light holes to increase air flow, which I'll be glad to plagiarize.

To make sure all is well, I'll put in a new or rebuilt master cylinder and rebuild all four wheel cylinders before my LS6 motor is in there. I have the steel wrapped teflon brake lines to install as well. The rears will likely keep the stock non-slotted rotors (for now) but I have the semi-metallic pads for them. I have two liters of Castrol SRF brake fluid as well ($80/L!!).

Once all that's done, then I'll be able to abuse the brakes to see if anything else is needed. It would *look* better with bigger brakes, but MB designed the stock setup for a 4,000 pound car capable of 150mph.
That is a good point. My 560SL breaks are bigger than the breaks on my F150 long bed pickup. But compared to the SL600 they are miniature trinkets.