View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriderdog37 View Post
I have actually studying that lately. I wasn't going to post about it until I had more definitive results, but since we are talking about it, I'll give you what I know so far. I have been doing all of this at 90-95* ambient temp, medium traffic on surface streets (red light to red light). I don't live in a city big enough to have to deal with gridlock, however I have been in it, and seen my car get SUCKED of power when it's hot and I am in the middle of traf****.

Engine bay: about 5-8* warmer than ambient. After sitting at a few consecutive red lights, temp was up to 110-115*. Temp was back to 5-8* above ambient after about 25 seconds.

Inside the u-turn: I start the car (when cold), and keep moving for about 15 mi before getting to traffic, doing this, the temp stays right at ambient. After a few red lights, temp soared to 125-130*. The temp was still raising, but I was out of traffic by this time, took a 12 mi drive on the freeway, and the temp only dropped to 109*. I have only been able to test inside the u-turn once, but I am still testing. I'll post more info when I get it.

I am hypothesizing that the temp will raise much higher in the stock filter setup before leveling out. I didn't think originally that the tin airbox would be able to keep the cold intake worth keeping.

I started working on this not to prove anybody wrong or to get better performance, but I wanted to get the best possible replacement for the stock box. My stock box vibrates and rattles on the side of the compartment, which pierced a hole in it. The u-turn also doesn't fit properly, I am sure it allows unfiltered air into the turbo.
Yeah, I've been thinking of doing something like dieselkid's original open element design but using black ABS plastic tubing and elbows instead of steel or aluminum - for the insulating properties of the plastic. I want to plumb mine to put the filter right into the front corner behind the PS headlight, and then install an "isolation panel" in that corner to box it in and provide a barrier between the filter and the rest of the engine comparment. That would make it draws all its air from around the headlight and not from the heated engine compartment.
99% original unmolested car
~210k miles on the clock

1986 Ford F250 4x4 Supercab
Charcoal & blue two tone paint over burgundy interior
Banks turbo, DRW, ZF-5 & SMF conversion
152k on the clock - actual mileage unknown