View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Jimmy you make some good points but sometimes comparing 240Ds is like an apples to oranges comparison. My 276000 mile 240D I would gather is not nearly as peppy or fuel efficient even in proper tune compared to this low mileage time machine. I live by Diesel Dog's philosophy and drive this car with my foot to the floor frequently. I find I'm quicker off the line and to speed than alot of cars around me but I've got to put some effort into driving to make that happen. No problem with that, but it's not for my wife or soon to be driving children. As far as the N/A 300D, the torque difference is manifest but the trade off is city fuel mileage. I would love to transplant my low mileage 300D's engine into the 240D and will likely do this when my 240D powerplant gives it up. Just need to get the proper driveshaft and maybe luck into a 5 speed. But the OP claims of 36 mpg are phenomenal and must have been augmented by a stiff tailwind or a black hole or something because 36 highway for 240D is unheard of.

1978 300D
1979 240D