View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
You can certainly check the tire manufacturer's warranty online but I would not be surprised if there is no wear warranty on them. Many performance tires don't carry a warranty for wear and if you speak to the folks at the tire store they will tell you that getting 15-20K out of performance tires is not unusual. Some of it depends on your driving habits but also, like I said, much of the performance comes from soft, grippy rubber. It's the tradeoff made to have tires like that. Also, even if your tires do have a wear warranty there are drawbacks. One is they will do everything in their power to deny a claim and two is even if you do get a claim approved it will be pro-rated replacement. Meaning you will get only a portion of the cost of new tires and will also be forced to by the same crappy tires you just wore out prematurely. That's what I was faced with under my pirellis. The warranty would have given me $30 off each new tire...big deal, I would not buy them again regardless so I forfeitted the warranty for better tires.

Go to tire rack and read some of the reviews for tires that they recommend for the car. For the heck of it, read other's reviews of your tires too so you can see if others complained about premature wearout. I buy all my tires from them, usually when they have a good sale and have my local corner gas station mount and balance them for $10 a pop.

The problems you mentioned with tire wear warranties didn't apply to me when I got my tires at costco. They dont have the greatest selection but their warranty is effortless and no hassle.