View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Man of the fire

You're thinking right, if the FW is not damaged, and is straight, you can just clean it up with a die grinder and a 3M Roloc wheel (abrasive coated fiber), If there's any deep grooves you'll need to have it surfaced. Cracks can be misleading, they're usually caused by heat (such as someone riding the clutch at a stoplight) and sometimes are just superficial and mill right out when you have it turned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
Pockets are not so deep, no. I just talked to Phil and he said a new one is $600. Mine has some discoloration so I'm tempted to replace it. This was a conversion with an early style 4-speed.

From reading numerous posts on the subject, this is my plan
1. Take my existing FW to a shop and have them see if it is neutral balanced and whether it can be resurfaced.

Option1: resurface existing FW and put it back in
Option2: Find a used FW and have it tested for neutral balance

So, if my existing FW is neutral balanced and can't be resurfaced, I need to find another neutral balanced FW, or find one and make it neutral.

If my existing FW is not neutral balanced, I need to find another FW (neutral or not) and have it balanced to the existing FW.

Am I on the right track here or am I making it more difficult than it needs to be.

As usual, thanks for all the replies!
82 240D -for sale