View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 11:31 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervan View Post
if you have a dial gauge, you can check the run out on it if the clutch felt like brakes do when they warp when you let out on it, just go to a machinist and get it turned. I just use a flap wheel disc on my grinder and smooth it out Check the points on the flywheel were the white lines are drawn those are the heat check points if there are cracks in those points, replace the flywheel.
I cant decide if its easier for remove the tranny or pull the engine to change a clutch...
With all the fragile lines on the engine I know I would much rather pull the tranny!

I'd be shocked if the fw is damaged. If its worn a lot though it may need planed. You just have to look at it. If you remove it you should mark where it came off. If you plane it you also need to shim it or your pressure point will be very close to the floor, like my 280e and my 240/300d. I don't know where or how to get the shims. 300sdog knows about the shims I think.

Tom Walgamuth
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.