View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 PM

MB Doc, 722.620 limp mode questions
You sound like you are well versed in the repair areas. I have a 97 722.620 which did a hard shift 2-3 or 3-4? at about 35mph and then quit shifting. It went into limp mode when I tried a restart. This trans has 75k as far as I know. I read on the possible problems online and the electrical connector leak looked like a good start. I found some oil in the first cavity after removing the plastic screw lock plug. There was oil on a couple of pins. Not all. I removed the oil and reassembled it. I read the OBD2 read outs and I got three error codes. po715, po720, and p1519. The first two are generic and are:
po715 is Input turbine speed sensor
po720 is Output turbine speed sensor, or the reverse of these two
p1519 is Dealer specific and I cannot read it.

I am looking for direction here. I can replace the electrical connector mid plug and the O rings in the area. I can change the fluid and get the dipstick or make one that has a level of 6.4 cm to be used at 80'C. I was inside a BMW Electrical 5 speed that I think was the same animal as this trans. I saw the selenoid bank etc. That one blew fluid out the top vent at sustained highway speeds. I am working in my garage. Getting the vehicle up high enough to make life easier is tough.
What is the setup? Pull the selenoids, then a electrical connector board (circuit board) and replace the board (removing a plastic molding projection to allow flush seat with the trans wall), check selenoids for light transmittal thru them, reassemble filter and pan. Refill with old strained or new fluid.

I have deoiled the electrial connector now. The codes are not reset. Should the vehicle shift when driven now or will the codes need to be reset before proper operation would be possible?
I would appreciate your time or leading me to someone who can help.

Thane in SE Florida