Thread: boost gauge!
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 PM
smoke gets in your eyes

boost gauge!

I put a gasser economy gauge in the 300D to serve as a boost gauge. It took a lot of finger crossing but it appears the gauge set I got at the PNP works as well as the original gauge set. So far no smell of burned electricals or crazy behavior but I haven't gotten the engine to operating temp so I don't know if the temp gauge is good. Fuel gauge reads about where it did prior but that's another thing to keep an eye on.

I've read about folks drilling holes and soldering and whatnot. I'm not sure what that's about. This was a straight gauge swap. I didn't transfer the economy gauge to the tri-gauge module in my car. Goodness, I'd rather replace a transmission... uhh... in a 126 Maybe the gauges will go south on me and I will have to do that custom work

Per jbaj007's instructions, I set the economy gauge pointer to 10 o'clock which worked well in the SDL. I had to tweak it closer to 9 o'clock in this car because the gauge wouldn't lift until close to 10 psi. At the current setting it reads about 5-12 psi which is the range that matters to me.

I must say the 124 keeps finding ways to confound me. The 126 has lots of room to get lines through the firewall and similarly lots of room to work behind the cluster. The 124 formed grommet is tucked under dash. There's an obscure line of sight from the engine bay and some wishbone bracket behind the gauge cluster that prevents a hand from getting to the grommet. I had to push the plastic line through the rubber boot with finger strength. My hands and forearms look like I refereed a tomcat fight.

Sixto
87 300D