View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrayton View Post
Thanks Brian. I guess part of the problem is I don't know what a perfect 602 sounds like.

The reason I suspect the cams is it had some bad cams, and I replaced only the bad ones, so I'm suspicious of the ones I left in that weren't acting up at the time.

There is an intermittent ticking noise - you're saying that's the cams. I have the spares, I think I should just get in there and replace them.

I guess occam's razor says it is the injector knocking - either becuase it is not the exact same type as the others, or it is the wrong pressure (it is at 2050psi = 141bar).

I wonder why it doesn't knock at high revs?

I'll have the new injectors soon and put them in and see. But for now, I don't suppose its going to cause any major engine damage knocking like that for a week is it?

Let's get the terminology straight. You've got one camshaft and it has 10 lobes.

You cannot replace "only the bad cams". Either you replace the entire camshaft, or you don't.

The intermittent ticking noise is the lifters. It's got nothing to do with the camshaft.

The knock disappears at higher revs because there is more fuel from the injector and it burns closer to the ideal. At idle, any slight deviation from a perfect spray pattern can cause a slight knock. It's not an issue to drive it this way, indefinitely. Hell, the 617 lives with such noise........practically forever.