View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Its a Whatsit

Ouch.. I feel for you. Dealing with this can't be fun. Here's what you're facing..

Inside the bushing is a steel tube that the bolt goes through. When the bolt is tightened down, the body of the car clams on that tube. It used to be attached to the rubber of the bushing, and isn't supposed to detach, but it apparently did. The bolt isn't supposed to get stuck in the steel tube, but apparently it did that too.

I was lucky when I did mine and neither bolt was siezed, but as I see it, there's only two options left -- remove the bolt head (and threaded part?) by cutting it off so you can pull the UCA out, or get the tube unstuck off the bolt with a torch.

If I had a torch, I'd go that route -- the UCA alloy is very soft and, while there isn't much room under there to cut it off the bushing, you should be able to cut it off hand with a naked hacksaw blade if you can't use an appropriate power tool. That route seems like a lot less work than trying to cut the head (and maybe the threaded end too) off with a metal cutting blade on a power tool.

If you decide to cut the head off, make sure you'll have enough clearance to remove it once it's cut off. You don't want to cut it off from above, only to find you need to repeat the job from underneath because the tube won't shift far enough to let the stub ends out (as I recall, it won't, but check for yourself.. even I don't trust my memory very far these days).

Broadband: more lies faster.