View Single Post
Old 07-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Unofficial wormcan opener

Strange SLS leak 300TD 124

We headed out for a long weekend on Friday. The trip included going over a 4,000' pass. It was about a 3 hour drive. When we arrived on the other side of the pass, I noticed some fluid on the back window. I also noticed that my SLS tank was low and it smelled like that fluid.

I found a quick change oil place that was open on Saturday. They had a mechanic on duty and he let me pull the car into a bay and walk under it with him. It appeared that the valve in the rear was leaking from the top. He tried to tighten the lines, but they were all tight.

The SLS tank still had some fluid in it so we returned home Sunday night. I left the car in the driveway and checked it Monday morning. The drive way was dry. I had a quart of fluid in stock, so I added it to the tank which was enough to get it up to the full line. I drove the car around today on the freeway and in town and there is no sign of a leak.

So would going up to 4,000 feet and back down cause the valve to leak. There is a bleeder on top of the valve. I have the car at my indie so maybe he will find something tomorrow.

I didn't have much weight in the car. 100 pounds total in rear seat passengers (my kids), a couple bikes on the roof and 2 bags and a bike seat in the back. Two days before I had myself and 4 adults in the car without any problems.

Any ideas?

Chris

Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss