View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987 View Post
Geez, between this and the salesman in Pep Boys today, I'm starting to feel a little run-down by the male world. I went in to buy a new socket for the headlamp of my dad's van (GM junk corroded beyond belief) and the guy tells me they don't have any, but I might find a junkyard that has one and "get my husband or boyfriend to splice it on." He caught himself, though and sheepishly added, "or you could do it if you know how to do that kind of stuff."

I'll admit though that most women really make no effort to know what's going on under the hood. I guess most guys don't either, but women almost seem PROUD of how little they know about cars. It's like they play car-dumb to look cute or do the damsel-in-distress dance. I don't expect other women to be as obsessed with their car as I am, but really, how hard is it to know that engine oil is vital, or that gasoline and diesel are not interchangeable? Maybe I'm a genius.
You are a rare Jewel.
I wish that in school everyone was required to take a class where they learned how their car, common household appliances, plumbing and such worked. Not of course to train them to be mechanics/repair persons but to help them use things more safely and to help them avoid getting ripped off by repair persons.
Two houses down lived a girl (a good friend for 35 years or so) I grew up with. Her Father was very mechanically and electrically inclined. More importantly her spent a lot of time teaching her a good deal of what he knew and I was often there with them learning myself.
Maybe knowing from her example that Women have the ability in this area if what I find frustrating with my Wife concerning cars. When she is off driving there is a little worry spot in the back of my mind. Will she make the right decision if something goes wrong with the car?

Last edited by Diesel911; 07-02-2008 at 11:48 AM.