View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Dieselsüchtiger

My lady knows about car stuff (sorta), and does have some interest in it, but doesn't like getting dirty doing work on one. She drives a toyota currently....eventually we'll either get her a VW or a MB when the toyota dies.

She came mighty close to killing her Rav4 recently, it was parked nearby and I had been working on my car, so I thought "hey, I haven't checked over the Toy-ota recently, I think I will" so I check the oil, its NOT SHOWING ON THE STICK. I add 1qt....gets it to maybe the bottom of the "add more oil" marking...still a ways from full. So I add some more, then I decide what the heck, I have a whole bunch of new synthetic for this anyways, and drained it all out, and did a Mobil 1 0w30 oil + Mobil 1 filter ($25 deal at AZ) oil change and it was all set. It gained 2mpg with the new oil and the tapping sound (lifters possibly) went away, runs real quiet. However, we'll be keeping a better eye on oil consumption.... It had eaten about 1.7qts of dino oil in 2200 miles. Thats a lot when you realize the sump only holds 4.3 total!

I check my fluids at least once a week, and always before extended drives.

It scared her when I told her what she could have done to the engine with low oil, so she'll likely stay on it more.
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)