View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

Old Dog's New MB / 87 300d

Hello to all.
This is my first post on this board. I only came across this forum a few days ago. I must say, from looking at other boards, and comparing the activity levels, WOW! This board rocks. Especially this diesel discussion. Seems to be quite a bit of knowledge here.
Anyway, I recently joined the MB world. I have always been interested in diesel power, I even owned a VW diesel back in the 80's. It was not a pleasant ownership. I had quite a few problems with it, and it had to go. But I still liked the idea of the diesel auto. I've been in the BMW world for the last few years, but I have grown tired of the stiff ride. Great fun in the twisties, but hard on my butt.
So, I got the diesel bug again, and had been looking for the right MB for a few months when I came across a cherry 87 300d. 129k miles / white with palomino interior (not pink). It was on e-bay, the seller had a good feedback record. So I bought it.
Now I'm trying to fix a few bugs it has to get it to the quality level I would like. The cruise control won't set a speed. Odometer stopped working. The rear control arm bushings (pivot bushings)need replacement. The AC needs a R-12 bump. And one lifter "taps".
Overall, I am pleased with the car. It has a #14 head, and the original fan clutch. It has plenty of power. Great ride comfort. Reasonably quiet. And I think it's getting good fuel mileage. I'll know more when the odometer is fixed.
I have a question for you veteran MB owners: The speedometer seems to be off on the low side by about 5-7 mph. This will get me in trouble eventually. Is this common, and can it be adjusted? It has the OEM size tires.
I'm looking forward to good discussions in the future on this board.
Old Dog