View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Biodiesel User

I recently saw a thread reporting on the results of "water tests." The tester found that pump dino diesel had at least as much water in it as either pump biodiesel or home-made biodiesel. Home-brewers definitely need to make sure they've properly dried their biodiesel but I wouldn't worry about commercial stuff, they use an entirely different manufacturing process. Comment: this is part of the misinformation still going around about biodiesel. None of us are entirely innocent, including myself, we all tend to pass on unreliable information.

There are really only three significant concerns for anyone using commercial biodiesel in a Mercedes:
(1) make sure your rubber fuel lines are biodiesel-rated;
(2) keep an eye on your pre-filter for crud that the biodiesel might dissolve out of your fuel system and change filters a little more often at first;
(3) make sure you use a blend of bio and dino when temps start to drop. To determine how much, experiment in your refrigerator.

I am currently running every vehicle I own on biodiesel and have never had any serious problems since 2004. Even when hoses start to melt, it's a slow process. You have a lot more time than the Wicked Witch of the West had (she was gone in a few seconds, as I recall).

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970