View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Sam

Want to put w201 Front Seats in my '82 w123.

I realize this will be a bit of a project as I've already done a bit of leg work. The seat mounting points in the w123 are much lower at the rear so Benz used risers to level out the seat. I took a pair of these risers out of a boneyard car so all I need to do for actual mounting is bolt the w201 seat to the w123 risers.(Easier said than done, I know.) Looking at things, I think it can be done with the proper bolts rather than resorting to welding.

The biggest problem is the seat wiring. The w201 units are power operated. I can find wiring diagrams but they do not show the actual routing of the seat wires. I can manually trace and pull but I sure would like to know where to start removing interior bits to get at them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to use the w201 seat switches rather than wire in momentary throw units if possible.

Another issue is the seatbelts. Does anyone know a safe, secure way to mount the W123 receptacles to the w201 seats? This could be a deal breaker, of course....if there is not a reasonable solution.

I know many will ask why I intend to do this. "Just restuff the old seats and get on with life." Well, the w201 seats are superior in many ways as far as I'm concerned. Most importantly, since I'm wicked skinny, I wallow around on w123 seats like a drunk sailor. 201 seats just fit better, offer better support, and with all the power adjustments, I can put 'em where I want 'em. Plus, I've got a pristine pair in a parts car.

All opinions, suggestions, flaming, bashing, etc. will be welcomed.

Thanks,

Sam

'82 300Dt Daily Driver
'83 300Dt Parts Horse
'76 300D Toy (Built the month I was born)
'90 190E 2.6 Wife's Daily Driver
'91 190E 2.6 Parts Horse
'96 Miata BRP Supercharged
'06 Benelli Pocket Bike (Danger Fix)
'78 Honda Kick-n-Go (Restoring for Daughter)