View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy View Post
I hate article's like that. The press is mostly air headed nit wits.
That's why people like me eventually run away from the industry. That's the way the press is across the board, including where I work, in sports. Most coverage of major issues is (and sometimes has to be) generic, cursory and crafted with a halfwit audience in mind. Write intelligent, highly scientific articles and 1) you'll never get a publication out because it takes too much time and 2) most of your readers will be too dumb to understand it, will be angered by its level of sophistacion, or angered because it doesn't say what they feel comfortable believing. The mass media is a terrible place for an insightful mind to be trapped.

I would take this article with a grain of salt. People love lists of the "top 10" or "worst 10" anything ... heaven forbid they should sit down and balance out facts and conclude that things such as emissions, value and economy are circumstantial by nature. I don't blame yahoo for publishing an article that readers will lap up. It would have been nice if they'd offered a little bit of alternative perspective, even if parenthetical, but they don't have to ... that isn't their job. If you want to read something intelligent, don't look to yahoo for it. There are countless publications and Web sites that can give you interesting perspective, whether it's on diesels, hybrids, biofuels, etc.

And on a side note, why does this debate always end up mutually exclusive? I.e., "hybrids are crap" or "hybrids are the answer." Isn't it feasible that some people could own hybrids, because they're great in a city-driving environment, and some people could own diesels, because they're ideal in a highway scenario? And maybe if we're lucky some of us wil get the chance to drive diesel-electric hybrids.
2018 Chevy Cruze diesel, 6-speed manual, satin steel metallic/kalahari--19,000 miles
1982 Peugeot 505 diesel, 4-speed manual, blue/blue, 130,000 miles
1995 S320, black/parchment--34,000 miles (Dad's car)