View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Benz Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
My under which is standing (understanding) is that OBD I is that way. OBDII is more intrusive from the standpoint that even if everything is in the right ratio at the end, if it gets more of a certain thing that it expects to see, it will trip the light fantastic. So if you put a supercharger in the car and manage to get the fuel ration to be right from the 02 sensor, it will still trip the light fantastic because the MAF reads more air than it was told it would see. Someone correct me if I made a mistake

Yes but you can go back to the fuel retailer for redress if it comes to that. OTOH, if you made your own bio and it hosed the fuel system, who do you go to when the manufacturer says "You used more than B5. Fuel systems are your problem."?
The only purpose of OBDII is the control of emissions. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the PCM will recognize the O2 sensor and then adjust the air/fuel mixture accordingly (Heated O2 sensors reach operating temperature more quickly). The PCM does this by either adjusting injector pulse width or fuel rail pressure. The MAF sensor reading increased air flow wouldn't illuminate a MIL. The PCM would simply use that input to help decide how to adjust the air/fuel ratio.

If I burn bad fuel and it kills my fuel system then it's my fault and the bill is mine. However, I make good fuel in a BioPro190 which is tested before I put it in my fuel tank. I'm confident there will be no problems.