View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 PM

New 300D - advice on my first repairs!

Hi,

So as I mentioned in a previous post, I got an 87 300D on Friday and so far it has been a great 400 or so miles! There are a number of things that need some attention, although most are not anything vital. I just don't know where to start on some of them.

First off, I don't think the previous owner put more than 5000 miles on it per year for the past two years, and I have noticed that in the past two days that it has become a lot more powerful, especially around town. At WOT on the highway though, it is blowing some smoke...not a lot, but more than I think it should. This is all between 3500-4000 rpm. Since it runs well I think it might be starved for air? The last owner put this AirRaid cone filter on it, and I think it has less surface area than the oem filter (which is in the trunk)

The cruise basically doesnt work, and I would like it to since I spend a lot of time on the highway. The nob feels really loose, like it doesnt really click into any position..is this normal? If I hold it on accel it wil accelerate but once I let go it doesnt do anything. New switch perhaps? Or just a solder job?

There seems to be some oil leaking on the front of the engine, like it might be coming out of the valve cover gasket (is there one?) The hose that goes into the v. cover near the oil fill cap is also a bit oily. Any concern or just something normal?

ABS light is on. I read that this is the OVP, but where is that located and does it need to be replaced or dealt with in another manner?

Mileage doesnt seem to be too great, although the odo is broken and I havent filled up yet (I always travel the same route so I know how much fuel I should use if I were getting 30 or so). It still has the trap though and I'm going to change all the filters soon so hopefully this will make a big difference.

I think I can address the other issues myself, so I will just leave it at this for now

Thanks! Finding the right car was a lot easier with all your help!
Past: 1987 300D - 264k

Last edited by awsrock; 07-13-2008 at 11:02 PM.