View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Bad Day. My best friend died.

My best friend for the past 35 years died yesterday. I first met Mike way back in the early 70's after we each got out of the service. I had just finished college after serving in the Navy. Mike had returned from Vietnam with a plate in his arm and at the time was a pilot for a local commuter airline.

In the Army, he piloted a Huey AH-1G gunship with the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile)

Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ycK9uNdA_g

Mike spent his career flying small commercial aviation aircraft. When he gave that up, he went to work for a private company which was working on testing a new ATC system at the Hughes FAA technical Center in Pomona NJ. After Sept. 11, 2001, he helped write and update the federal Air Marshall training manual and also served as an Air Marshall training instructor.

Man, we really had a blast together in our younger days when we both were single. We looked a lot alike and people always thought we were brothers. Well, we were, but we weren't. He was always there when I needed him, and I hope he felt the same.
I will miss him greatly.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glint of snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain

When you awaken in the mornings hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I DID NOT DIE

Author Unknown

Last edited by dynalow; 07-15-2008 at 11:03 AM.