View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
Sorry to hear the news D, will he have a military funeral?
I asked his wife that yesterday when she called me with the news. She wasn't sure what he would want. I called the local Veterans Office (a county govt. office) yesterday and asked them about the Veteran's cemetary they have here for county residents. She said the funeral home would provide most of the preliminary details about what was needed DD-214, drivers license, marraige license.

I don't know too much about military funeral arrangements. When my father (USCG O-6) died, my youngest brother took care of that and arrainged for gravesite honors.

Mike was a WO2. I don't know where to find out what type of honors he's entitled to. Our local ANG Unit here (253rd Transportation) was just called up.
The closest Army post near here is Ft Dix I guess. I'm not even sure how to get a flag for the casket. I looked at the VA website yesterday, but couldn't find any help.

When I last saw him last Thursday, before he was transferred out of the local hospital and up to PA, I asked him if he belonged to any Veterans organizations. VFW? He nodded yes. Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Assn? I think he nodded yes to that too.

I will call his wife this afternoon and maybe go with her to see the funeral director. I've known him many years. He buried both my grandparents and parents. Hope he can answer some of these questions.

He had cancer in his bones, and being on a ventilator and feeding tube, his prospects were grim. No doubt a blessing his heart gave out.