View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
say: Jook-Ur-Pah

I try to listen to new stuff and always come back to composers who are dead. Some haven't been dead long; Alberto Ginastera is a favorite, and Bernstein is only 10 or so years gone... However, I enjoy the atonal compostion from time to time, and wish I could find performances of it instead of the typical schlock Ravel's Bolero bore-fest that always seems to be the carrot to my Bartok stick.

Camille Saint-Saens' 3rd in C ("organ") is one I hope to hear/see live sometime soon. It's popular enough I'll find it sooner or later. But Music for Percussion, Strings and Celesta by Bartok isn't exactly on top of the Boston Pops playlist... and I've never seen Ginastera anywhere.

One area where composition is very strong and accessible is in cinema. James Newton Howard is fantastic and Hans Zimmer does some great things too - His score to The Thin Red Line is amazing. Bernard Hermann's scores from days gone by were special as well.

Williams is so prolific that a lot of his themes and tone color blends together. He occasionally comes up with something new and good - Empire of the Sun, the Harry Potter movies, Hook... a few favorites.
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com