View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Bush.

btw, Chad, the cajuns seem to refer to the crust on the outside of grilled meat or the bits in the bottom of the black pot as gratton. I've never heard of them referring to cracklins as such, but maybe Bot has.
It's used both ways, I think. It could also be the blending of a subcultural difference.

When my youngest was in the hands of an elderly Cajun lady I asked her to speak only French to my kid. The lady was delighted and obliged. Her English was not too easy to understand and my French is an international embarrassment, but we enjoyed each other's company over the course of a couple of years.

She told me that she could tell where a Cajun was from by his accent and vocabulary. She said that the Cajuns were so isolated before WWII that a Cajun from Duson might never meet a Cajun from Butte La Rose or even Breaux Bridge. But her daddy traveled a lot and she often rode with him, first in a wagon and later in a truck, so she was far more worldly about Cajun linguistics.

So I could easily imagine that Gueydon Cajuns called the crisped, brown bits at the bottom of the black iron pot, "grattons" and the Cajuns in Maurice used that word for "cracklings".

B