View Single Post
Old 03-25-2002, 06:22 PM
Question Oil changes / intervals: Recommendations

Sorry for so many questions. I've asked these in another forum and I haven't been getting too many responses, so I've been posting them here. I've had my car for about a month so I'm starting to see it's problems and I'm trying to identify and correct them a.s.a.p.

I've spent the last 4 days reading many posts about recommended oil types and changing intervals. Unfortunatly most of the posts I've read are in reference to E-Class and C-Class Mercedes. Since the S-Class are so much larger, I would imagine whats great for the E and C Classes may not be so great for my S-Class.

My driving habits? I baby my Benz. No hard cornering, no rapid accelleration except for getting on the freeway, no hard braking and I try to only take it out for long freeway trips of 50 miles or more. My wife, unfortunatly, often takes it for short trips to school and to the store.

I live in Southern California where temps are rarely below 40. I travel to Las Vegas about 4-6 times per year.

From what I've read, Mobil 1 Tri Syn seems to be very popular. Does 20W 50W seem right for me. I'd like to stay on top of things but I'm no oil changing maniac. I plan to change the oil every 5k miles.

I have also considered trying fuel injectors additives like Redline but the owners manual says any additive may mess up your car. Are fuel injector cleaners safe. How about octane boost? All gas stations in my area are 91 Octane, the minimum. I can't find any stations that are 92 or 93, if they even exist in my area.

Thanxxx in advance for any input.
1999 Silver/Gray MB S-420
Chrome 18x8.5 AMG Aero IIs
Pirelli P-Zero 235/50/18
Zaino user