View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm not necessarily sold on the implicit premise that a college education, broad Liberal arts or otherwise, makes one a better citizen than not having one.

"better democratic citizens"? Too broad a concept to nail down.
Take this true scenario. My daughter graduated from high school in 2000. She heads to the Univ.of Delaware. During the summer, she introduced me to a male classmate who has enlisted in the Marine Corps. She goes to Newark DE; he goes to Paris Island.
I run into him once or twice over the next four years. Comes May 2004, daughter graduates and as sheer coincidence would have it, the same fellow happens to be coming home on leave and helps her move her things home, some which end up in my house.

I couldn't help but wonder who had seen and accomplished more and had more "life shaping experiences" -- a kid studying biology in college or a young man who traveled from Okinawa to Iraq and a few other places in between.
Granted, statistics say she'll earn more more over her lifetime than he will, other things being equal. But that's not what you are looking for.

Back to the citizen profile. She works in the Counthy Health Department (for now) and he works in the County Sherriffs's Department K-9 unit. I guess I'd have to say they are both good "democratic citizens". (law abiding, self supporting,etc,) I'm sure you would agree with that assessment.

I think citizenship values are shaped at home, in the community and in primary education more so that by college education, whether Liberal Arts or a specific discipline.

Put another way, whose a "better democratic citizen": the Marine recruiter in Berkeley or the protester who pickets their presence? Impossible to objectively quantify, in my humble opinion.