View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Dieselsüchtiger

Its not so much a "relay" as a "variable resistor" it gets hot, and if the fan motors aren't perfect anymore (and even if they are) it will burn out as it gets hot from the juice going through it for the fans. It can fail in an open or closed position, usually it fails open. They mounted it on the frame rail in an attempt to dissipate heat.

The dodge caravan's suffer from the same issue. We replaced the "relay" 4 times then decided something else was wrong, bought a new radiator fan assembly, still blew out. So I mounted the new one to the frame rail with thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5, used on computer CPU's)....and I disabled one of the two electric fans. 2 years later, its still good. It runs the one fan when it needs to, and it has never gone above the normal temp level, even in hot traffic. By disabling (unplugging) one fan I cut the Amps going through the resistor by 50%, thus allowing it to not fail from too much current.

Its a huge issue with many dodge/chrysler vehicles.....yet there was/is no recall.
'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)