View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Is my E class working fine? Yes. Would I want to move up to a newer car with the bells and whistles? You bet. As soon as I can justify it, I will.
And you can sell me the E Class.

My wife and I have been struggling with this. Her 97 Saab needed the usual stuff at 150K -- struts, brakes, some other steering & suspension stuff, exhaust, etc... and it has a few little quirks (fuel gauge and tach intermittent). We thought about buying a newer used car, but there's so little out there that will get better mileage than Bob the Saab does that I bit the bullet and threw a few hundred bucks at it and fixed what I could. The tach and fuel gauge are still goofy, but we can live with them. I fixed everything else myself (and then paid for an alignment); I spent a car payment or two on parts, so the way I see it we're still ahead as long as Bob keeps running as well as he has been. Granted, I spent SEVERAL hours of labor doing the work, but I feel a sense of accomplishment and savings in doing it this way. Besides, if/when we find another car to replace Bob (Aklim's E Class maybe? ), the Saab will be worth something again. He would have been hard to sell w/o fixing the exhaust and brakes, and probably the suspension too.
1974 Triumph TR6
1999 Saab 9-5 wagon (wife's)