View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 PM

I'm a little biased but that's a great bike! My only reservations are with the rebuilt transmission. They don't typically fail at that mileage (but there's always a chance). Who did the rebuild is my main question. These trannies are not for the amateur to delve into.
My 1985 model is identical to this one except this one is an original 1000cc model and mine was an 800cc that I grafted a 1000cc top end onto.
It will handle very well and be comfortable for all day cruising if that's your deal. Some people find them not suited for interstate drones and prefer a heavier (a la Goldwing) bike for this duty. The BMW is easy to work on, handles well at low speeds and on unimproved surfaces and in proper tune will return low to mid 40's for fuel economy.
E-mail me if you want more (biased) information. I have owned quite a few BMW's and am quite knowledgeable re these airheads.
You might check the price against the classified section on the IBMWR marketplace. Do a search for Internet BMW Riders and you can find the classifieds. This price seems a little high but then if the bike is right, it will give you years of dependable service. I've owned mine since 1990.

"Good" is the worst enemy of "Great".