View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM

Chris,
Which oil extractor do you have? You mentioned the topsider which I believe has a can reservoir. If it is the Evacuator Plus it has a translucent reservoir that has calibrations on the side in liters.....from that you would be able to judge how much oil has been removed.

Pump or drain oil HOT.

I open the cap on the filter housing before I drain or pump. You can buy a large socket or adjustable wrench to fit the filter cap just about anywhere including Ace Hardware.

Use the largest tube that will confortably fit down dip tube. When it hits bottom it stops......it will not go any farther. There will always be a little residual old oil in the engine and cooler even if you do a bottom drain.....it is deluted by the new oil and is not a factor.

Pour in six quarts and then start monitoring level with dip stick as you add a 1/2 qt. at a time...... until it is somewhere between the high and low marks on the dip stick
How level is level is anyones guess?? The amount and depth of the oil in the sump is adequate to handle it without putting a level on the roof. By design car engines have a high enough margin/volume of oil to allow them to go up and down hills without becoming oil starved........Just check your oil level frequently/daily.

Daily Driver: 98 E300TD 199K
Hobby Car: 69 Austin Mini
Past Diesels: 84 300SD, 312K
87 300SDL, 251K
94 Chev. K-1500 6.5Ltr.TD, 373K

Last edited by F18; 07-24-2008 at 09:08 PM.