View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Crazy mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteStarfish View Post
Whoa whoa. Let's not get too crazy here.

Lighter AMG rims, drilled/slotted rotors, coilovers, and W210/211 seats front and back are what I had in mind. Or I may just have my seats redone in memory foam. Carbon fiber hood/trunk lid (painted of course, no rice please!) and maybe if I get crazy(er), front fenders and door skins.

My first thought is that if I rip out all of the old 1983 insulation in the vehicle I'll drop the weight a good 30-50 pounds. Any steel I can replace with aluminum I probably will.

If I can find the fiberglass body kit used on a AMG W123s to delete the bumpers I'll jump on that as well.

Another thought I had was, would the weight of a skid pan make up for itself in aerodynamics?
having an underbody set of pans welded will help tremendiously with aerodynamics and interior sound reduction. ( i mean the mercedes underbody is no airplane under there...) Do not forget the stitch welding, it really really helps its so cheap too, if you have a mig or arc welder you can do it by yourself too. Just go slowly along all of the seams in the car, it will add about 10-30 pounds to the weight of the vehicle but it will stiffen it up substancially.

As long as they would add one additional commandment for you to keep thy religion to thyself.
George Carlin (Wonder where he is now..)

1981 240d (engine donor 1983 240d) recently rebuilt engine hurray! - No more.. fought a tree and the tree won.

pearl black 1983 240d 4speed (Converted!@$$%) atleast the tranny was rebuilt.