View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM

Surprise at the pump

Like many of these cars my fuel gage is not working, so I employ a simple method of making sure I don't run out of fuel. If I purchase $20 in diesel, that gives me a little over 4 gallons (at current prices). I figure I'm getting about 25 MPG, so 4 gallons means I'm good for 100 miles right? I clear the trip meter after purchasing fuel and remember 100 miles. Well I had been going along like this all spring without problem. Then this last weekend I had to travel about 140 miles round trip, so I thought I should purchase a bit more fuel than I normally do. I stopped at the gas station and started pumping expecting to put in about $40. But then I started having problems with the pump, some don't like to run fast as the automatic shut off kicks in, I kept having to feather the handle to get the fuel to flow. That is until I heard the now unfamiliar sound of gurgling in the filler neck, then it hit me, the tank was full.
Thinking about it now I don't think I'm actually getting more than 25 MPG, but rather it must have been all of the tenths of a gallon that added up over time. But still a nice surprise, and then I could drive the next 350 miles without worry before I started the process all over again.