View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Voter

Homemade AC vacuum pump

I just bought an old working small freezer in a yard sale for $25 dollars and the reason I bought it was, I'm thinking of pulling out its motor/compressor and make me an AC vacuum pump out of it.

Question: How do I plumb it so that it will still hold it oil and at the same time pull vacuum at the low side/inlet port without losing its oil? I know that those real "dieselheads", are smart and innovative to help me with this experimental project. I think somebody in here has already done this but I can't find him in the Search tab.

The homemade pump that I used to have was a Sanden AC compressor out of a Nissan and have the clutch permanently riveted to the pulley and belted to a 1/2 HP Dayton motor but the compressor seized and also burned the motor. It used to work great and pulls @ least +/-28mmHg before it seized 2 years ago. I can't find a compressor that will fit the bracket that I welded, so right now it's in the scrap metal heaven already.

At least, with this freezer compressor, it's just one piece, and no bracket fabrication necessary. Thanks in advance!