View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 09:33 AM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080724_mo_escape.8a4682a4.html

Day care centers aren't good. Earlier this week a little kid died when daycare workers left him in a car in the awful Dallas heat. Would you ever put your child in day care?
For us it wasn't even considered. Once the first one popped out my wife put her career aspirations on hold to become a SAHM. I'm sure there are good day care centers out there but we were just more comfortable with her controlling what they did all day. And to POS's point, the constant sickness thing is a problem. Many, I won't say "most" but it probably is, parents just pump their sick kids up with Motrin to get their fever down and send them to daycare. The same problem continues once they enter elementary school, too.

I'm glad that she was willing to make that sacrifice, OTOH four kids later I'm eagerly awaiting the point where the youngest one starts school full time so she can pick up teaching again (actually she'd like to start off as a Special Ed para-professional then gradually transition to FT teacher). I'm lucky enough to have the flexibility to take off for a sick day if she isn't able to. What will end up being 14 years on living off one income does come with a lot of sacrifices, especially if you like lots of toys.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)