View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Just learning

Smile

Hello, I paid $300 for the car, but I won't be able to tow it home until Monday. There were more parts loosened and removed than he told me, but they all seem to be in the trunk or dangling under the hood. The starter was in the trunk, also the air cleaner, alternator, belts, fan, and a couple of hoses that looked like they went to the air cleaner. The power steering was unbolted. The glow plugs had not been removed. The oil looks a quart high, and solid black, but it has been sitting there long enough I suppose for water to settle to the bottom. One puzzling thing was the rear right door panels were off, like someone was working on the window motors. There were a couple of window motors in the trunk. I think that is puzzling, because if you had serious engine promblems, why would someone start working on a window problem? There is 193,000 on the odometer. I think I ought to remove the glow plugs and put some kind of solvent in the cylinders and let it soak overnight, before I even try to turn the crank. I will see if the starter works, and then put it back on, and do a cold compression test if it does. The car was last registered in 2002. This was a storage lein, so I hope that won't be a problem registering it. I will make sure it runs before I go through that expense. Bill