Thread: turbo 16v
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2002, 06:50 PM

turbo 16v

i'm installing the mosselman turbo kit in my 190e 2.3-16. i'm not planning on using mosselman's suggested setup for the oil supply and drain from the turbo and i need some help. because the intercooler goes where the stock oil cooler goes, mosselman suggests moving the stock cooler to a location below the bumper and cutting a hole in the front bumper valence to get air flow. don't wanna do that. i've removed my A/C condenser and have enough room for an aftermarket oil cooler in front of my radiator on the passenger's side. i'm going to run high temp/pressure tubing from the supply and drain lines for the stock oil cooler to allow me to use the aftermarket cooler as described above. because this location is near the turbo, i'm going to just plumb the turbo in series with the oil cooler to give it it's oil supply instead of following another mosselman suggestion which is to drill into my block for the oil drain. my question is, should the turbo or the oil cooler go first? if i put the cooler first, the cooled oil will have a higher heat capacity when it hits the turbo. if it put the turbo first, the cooler will be able to dissepate more heat before the oil goes back to the engine. the intake for the cooler will be just about the same height as the turbo and the drain from the cooler will be above the turbo.

so, any thoughts?