View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 PM

I feel for you. I think we're on borrowed time with the old man of the family. Felix is a schnauzer I adopted from a rescue organization several years ago, and at the time they guessed his age was 8-10. He could be 15+ by now; we just don't know. His eyesight is all but shot, and his hearing is demonstrably worse these past few weeks. He's on several meds for seizures and his eyes, and for liver deterioration due to the seizure meds. I don't mind these costs as he's been the most loyal friend and companion I have ever had, but I worry about the day that an unaffordable surgery is required. I am not sure how I'll handle that. On one hand, he has had a loving, spoiled life with me since his adoption, and assuming the age estimates are accurate he has lived longer than most schnauzers do. On the other, I can't bear the thought of not providing for him if/when the need arises. All I can say is that when the time comes for him to be put down, if he does not die naturally, I will be there with him, holding him and talking to him. With any luck, I'll be able to provide for him and take care of any further needs that arise.

Sorry for the aside; I am not sure how to answer your question. I wish I could provide more guidance, but this is a tough one. If you're a spiritual person, pray on it. In any case, I am sure Harry knows he's loved. Rest assured that there are many of us wondering the same things!
1974 Triumph TR6
1999 Saab 9-5 wagon (wife's)

Last edited by cscmc1; 07-28-2008 at 05:57 PM.