View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dalton View Post
OK
You may also want to check to see what they have done at this resistor..

http://catalog.peachparts.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_VehicleAAA&cookieID=2EI1B4MYE2FA1DDHNT&yearid=1986%40%401986&makeid=MB%40%40MB&modelid=300%2DE%2D002%40%40300E&catid=G%40%40Cooling+System&mode=PA&subcatid=G5040@@Aux%2E+Fan+Resistor&source=www.peachparts.com&clientid=catalog.mercedesshop

This is behind the driver headlamp area and it is in the aux fan circuit..they burn the wires off and that will stop the fans.

They may have jumpered that section.
Tried the second test and definitely no go. Before doing that, I caught your post and investigated the area. I found the resistor. Its in a tight spot so I was not able to do much this evening. Poking around further, I found the pigtail that "should" have been connected to the wires I photoed earlier. Unfortunately, the blac/white wire was broken off. I tried to do a quick patch to try and restore continuity but was mostly unsuccessful. Now that I know where the wires are supposed to go, I will get them fixed up tommorrow eve then rerun the earlier tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dalton View Post
If those wires are intact, take a jumper from bat + and bring it over to each side of that resistor...one side should give you high fan and the other will be low fan...if YES, then fans/circuit are verified as OK from the resistor downstream, so your problem is upstream feed from the resistor.
I can guide you thru that after I have those test results .
Looks like I have some patching to do first then I will rerun the tests. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The PO had tucked the broken pigtail way under the headland in such a way I thought it was part of the lighting circuit. I will get that all patched up the get back with the results.

Any suggestions on the wire gauge to repair with? 16?

1994 E320 Wagon with many warts SOLD
1995 E320 Wagon with a beauty mark or two FOR SALE