View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrian63 View Post
try draining some of the fluid from the system and running it through a coffee filter. See if you find metal.

Joystick valves are more sensitive than their two-way counterparts to contamination - just by virtue of their more complicated structure (I would think).

As I remember the design of most hydraulic systems, the pump is designed to bypass harmlessly when no pressure is required (output line fully closed).

Open the output line by toggling a valve to a device, and the bypass on the pump closes and pressure goes to the device.

Your upward creeping bucket is placing a constant demand on the pump, and that's leading to heated oil and consequently heated engine.

Get the joystick serviced - I think you might find a stray shaving has nicked a seal and is allowing pressurized oil to constantly bypass the valve and create the demand on the pump.
FWIW, I think you're right on the knicked seal. This thing has always acted weird when using the joystick...not unpredictable weird but slowing down towards the end of the bucket ram stroke and not making any power. Drawing the rams in it can lift 2000+ pounds but it can't push for squat.

It's either that seal, or the destroker valve in the pump is somehow hosed or has debris in it.

FWIW, I was also thinking that the joystick was a complicated device but I was surprised to discover that the complicated part is all on the outside with the linkages...the spool body looks pretty much the same as an old dual spool housing.

I should really save my bottle caps and buy a new tractor but I like this one because it can fit under the trees when I'm shredding and it's German.