View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 03:14 PM
<- Ryuko of Kill La Kill

Depending on the state, your options vary. Usually, it's not the best idea to simply pay the ticket. I got one back when I was in my 20's and not knowing better, just paid it. Next insurance bill I got was very surprising... My rates had tripled and stayed there for the next 3 years costing my close to $3000 by the time it was all said and done.

Check your local laws but you may have these options:

1. Pay an attorney to take care of it. It's around $200 last time I checked and you get no points and no insurance penalty.

2. Your state may have "prayer for judgement continuance" or something similar which states that you promise to keep clean for a certain period (like 2 years) and the ticket and points will magically dissappear. If you do screw up however, the penalty and points will be re-instated. If you have prayer for judgement, you can enter this as your plea when you appear in court. (NC laws, again, your experience may vary...)

Just for the education of it, try going to traffic court one day and sit there for a couple hours. You'll learn how the system works and be ready when it's your turn. You'll probably find that it's pretty much of an assembly line and if you have your act together, it'll be much smoother.

Benz Fleet:
1968 UNIMOG 404.114
1998 E300
2008 E63

Non-Benz Fleet:
1992 Aerostar
1993 MR2
2000 F250