View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Cursed Oil Canister

Well I just posted this morning about my leaky fuel lines on my 1971 220D. Now since my oil change Sunday the oil started pouring out
I've changed it many times and I know how tricky the canister style filters can be. Right after I changed it I checked it and it was leaking a little bit. I took it back out and found that I had put the rubber O ring on wrong. I had it laying flat on the flange of the canister rather than looking like a rubber band on the top portion of the canister. I left it at work and came back with more oil, tools and ramps. I took it back out and found that I must have pinched it the first time I installed it. I put a new gasket back on it and checked it again, no leaks.
About 8-10 miles down the road the wife starts honking her horn at me to pull over, oil all over her windscreen! It did it again! I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. This filter canister has a MB filter screen that sits above the filter, could I have put it in upside down? Grasping at straws here, any ideas?

2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (Yes, it's a Diesel!)
2001 Suzuki Esteem (Wife's car)
1980 Mercedes Benz 280 SE Euro
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII