View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM

tell your dad you want to maintain it. my dad was a strong believer in me doing as much for myself as possible. I know some parents are not like that. but if you make it a point of pride maybe they will let you get an older car. I can tell you I'm 24 and I've never had my car towed with a tow truck. I always have a tool bag on me and since I've worked on every car I've ever owned I've been in a position where I'm able to keep an ear out and fix every problem that comes my way.

I work for an engineering firm, and its amazing the stuff people will not do on their cars. very capable people, engineers, simply because they don't want to deal with it. I can tell you that every guy i know who takes their car to a mechanic is disappointed when they pick it up and pay the bill.

if you are the type of guy who has it in you to take on the challenge of keeping an older car on the road (I'm betting you are if you are on this forum) you will be more satisfied with your ownership experience.