View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:44 PM

My oil filter kits arrived at last. I immediately saw the difference in the German variety over the American one (Fram). The Fram has just a flat square cut seal versus the German Mahle filter which is a true O-ring. After the install I let it idle for about 10 mins, no leaks. I then took about a 10 mile run just to be safe, get home and check and no leaks. Lesson learned, don't mess with the cheap stuff, buy German! I had filled it with cheap AutoZone 10w 40 when I had the first leak while going to work, had just dumped 5-6 quarts of Mobil 1 5 w 40. I changed the oil again just to get that 10 w 40 AutoZone crap out of there. Again I shopped at AutoZone for my oil. I found some Royal Purple 15 w 40 synthetic on sale, buy a 4 quart jug get one free! Seemed like a good deal to me. This has been a pain in the ass with all the oil leaking out but I'll be willing to bet that the engine is a bit cleaner than it was!! What is the general opinion on Royal Purple oil? I've seen it on some cable hot rod or truck show on TV, sounded like good stuff. Now I gotta change out the power rack on my VW Jetta! Now that's a royal pain for sure!

2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (Yes, it's a Diesel!)
2001 Suzuki Esteem (Wife's car)
1980 Mercedes Benz 280 SE Euro
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII
1965 Triumph Spitfire MKII